Caring for Guppies, Goldfish, and More
By: FUN Monster
Becoming a fish owner can be a rewarding experience. You may think that fish require little attention, but knowing the proper techniques to care for them is extremely important. There are many different types of fish that you can find at a local pet store to adopt including gold fish, betta fish, guppies, and tetra fish. When learning to care for your new fish, it's important to know what type you are dealing with and what specific things they need to survive and grow.
Goldfish are known to be one of the most common types of aquarium fish. This is why many people adopt them as pets. Goldfish can vary in color, size, and shape. Some of the most common colors found in goldfish are orange, yellow, white, red, brown, and black. Caring for goldfish can be relatively easy, but there are a few tips to consider to make sure they are happy and healthy.
- Make sure the tank you are putting your goldfish in is at least 20 gallons or bigger for a single fish.
- Avoid adding more fish to the tank at the beginning. Start off with just one fish until you are more experienced.
- Keep their diets well-balanced with flake food and other gold fish acceptable foods at your local pet store.
- Research various filters and pick the best one for your tank.
- Read up on different goldfish health issues and how to treat them in case yours ever gets sick.
- Always maintain a heathy tank by changing the water regularly.
Betta Fish are also referred to as Siamese Fighting Fish. They earned that name by being one of the most territorial types of fish. If more than one betta is places in the same tank, especially males, they will more than likely become extremely violent and fight with each other. Bettas are known for their bright and vibrant color patterns.
- Betta fish can live in a tank as small as one gallon, but a 5 gallon tank or larger is highly recommended for a happy fish.
- Their food consists of a mixture of food pellets you can buy at a local pet store and small insects.
- Betta fish have a better tolerance for water quality conditions so they don't always need a filter on their tank.
- They are sensitive to changing water conditions such as temperature and ph/chemical levels. So be sure to acclimate them accordingly.
Guppies are another common tropical aquarium fish. Other names they are called by include millionfish and rainbowfish. They are one of the best beginner fish for pet owners or hobbyists to start off with. Their colorful bodies add excitement to the tanks, they are cheap, and pretty easy to care for as well.
- Guppies can live happily in a 5 gallon to 10 gallon size tank.
- They are much easier to have tank mates, which should be other guppies.
- Their food consists of fish flake food as well as frozen shrimp or bloodworms.
- Guppies are known for their quick breeding habits. So make sure to decide if you are keeping them for show/pet purposes or to breed as they require more specific care.
Tetra fish or Neon Tetra fish are another common aquarium fish. It is extremely popular among fish hobbyists because of their vibrant colors. The name tetra came from the unique shape of their teeth. They have quite a long life expectancy living for about 5 to 10 years on average.
- Tetra fish in their natural habitat surround themselves with other tetras and other non-intimidating fish breeds in large schools of fish. So it is safe to add other fish to the tank as long as the breeds are compatible.
- It is important to change the water regularly in the tank and maintain correct ph levels around 6.8.
- They are known to live in warm waters in their natural habitat. So a heater or thermometer must be used to track temperature and keep it at around 68-78 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Tetra fish eat fish flakes, pellets, and wafers but also enjoy live insects as well since they have teeth.
Fish Lessons, Games, Resources, and More
- Caring for Fish by PETA: PETA gives a bunch of great tips on how to create a happy and healthy environment for your fish that is similar to their natural habitat.
- 10 Best Freshwater Aquarium Fish for Beginners: Take a loot at some of the highest recommended aquarium fish for when you are just starting out as a fish owner.
- Aquarium Maintenance Tips and Fish Care Guidelines: Learn about how to change filters, maintain healthy water quality, and other aquarium maintenance tips to keep your fish healthy.
- A Beginner's Guide to Successful Fish Keeping: This fish food company provides a great guide for the beginner fish keeper with tips and more.
- Gold Fish Accessories: These gold fish shoes are for any gold fish lover out there. Of course it's a plastic fish and not a real one!
- Goldfish Care Basics: You can read the tips here on how to help give your goldfish a long and healthy life.
- The Ultimate One Page Guide to Betta Fish Care: This sheet lists tips on how to care for your betta fish covering everything from tank size to food.
- Guppy Expert: Learn all you need to know about caring for your new guppy fish from the Guppy Expert.
- Freshwater Tetra Owners Guide: When it comes to owning a tetra fish, learn all about care, diet, and cost here.
- Fish Gifts: Find the perfect gift for any fish lover, plus a bunch of others here.
- Best Fish Breeding Games and Apps: Download these games and apps including one where you have your own virtual aquarium to take care of.
- Fish Tycoon: Try breeding beautiful exotic fish in this fun aquarium simulator game.
- AVMA Selecting a Pet Fish: When it comes time to select your first pet fish, follow these tips to make sure you are selecting the best one.
- Practical Fishkeeping Magazine: This magazine offers tips and advice to anyone looking to get started in the fishkeeping hobby.
- Pet Fish Facts for Kids: Help kid's get involved with caring for fish too with these fun fish facts.
- The Top 7 Fish for Kids: When a kid is just starting out with a new pet fish, start here on your search to find the best type to get.
- Child Friendly Fish Tanks: Find some of the best aquarium tanks for our child's fish and learn how to help them care for their fish.
- Tropical Fish Tank Tips Just for Kids: These tips are great for any child learning how to care for their first fish!
- Duckster's-Goldfish: A kid's page where they can learn all about their favorite type of fish...the goldfish!
- Pet Fish Care with Children: Help children become responsible and learn how to care for a pet fish on their own with help from this site.